Friday, June 29, 2007

It's almost time...

Last night was our send off party and it was very special. So many sponsors, family members, and friends showed up to support us.

Megan and I modeled our competition wardrobes and some outfits from our week at the Tacoma Sheraton.

For those of you who are wondering what that week will look like... here goes...

Sunday we arrive and get settled in our rooms form 9:30-10:30
11:30 is the Arrival Ceremony and the Miss WA luncheon where all the past Miss Washington's perform. And then they put us right to work learning the dances.

Monday - Wednesday is spent rehearsing and learning dances in the hotel ballrooms and at the Pantageous Theatre.

We also make an appearance at Children's Hospital and have a dinner with the board of directors.

On the Fourth of July we get released to our parents for most of the day. My folks and I, along with Ben and my sister Tonie are going on a behind the scenes tour of Point Defiance Zoo. It was opened up to contestants and their family and friends as a sponsored event! We will have dinner and enjoy the fourth together. I may try to get a tanning session in too since we are sequestered at the hotel all week. Rub on tan just is not the same. :)

Then on Thursday we have our judges’ interview. Mine is near the very end. I am contestant 20 of 22. So when the morning group is interviewing my group (Beta) will be at the farmer's market) then we will come back to the hotel and I will have a bit of rest time before my interview.

Thursday night consists of the dress rehearsal and in my past experience the atmosphere and the competitiveness all changes after the interviews on Thursday. The ladies get down to business.

Friday we rehearse and all 22 young ladies compete in the preliminary night.

Saturday is rehearsals and the final night of competition. All the ladies perform the opening number and introduce themselves. Then immediately following they announce the top ten who step forward and get ready to compete. They also announce the Miss America Community Service and Academic Awards and "non-finalist talent".

The top ten compete in swimwear, eveningwear and talent. Then they return in their business suits and the top 5 are announced. They top 5 compete in on-stage question and then the judges use a ballot voting system to select the new Miss Washington 2007!

It will be an exciting week and event. In 2005 when I went as Miss Whatcom County I placed in the top ten and got people's choice. So far I have made $11,000 in scholarships and I am always looking to increase that number. I hope to finish paying off my B.A. from Western and have some money for graduate school when I finish on July 8th.

Thank you for all your support and well wishes, your prayers for contentedness and a sense of peace are welcomed.

Blessings - Look forward to your comments.
Alex

No comments: