Monday, July 2, 2007

Day One at Miss Washington 2007

July 1, 2007
10:45pm

This won’t be posted until tomorrow because I am not sure how to connect to the internet in my room at the Sheraton. However, there is still a lot to tell. What an adventure already.

Arrival started off with not having much time to get ready, although despite previous trends, I was on time for the duck line up and roll call.

“Momma Duck” is the lady who corrals and cares for all of the twenty-two contestants. With each scheduled event we gather together and count off, then head as a group to the next item on the agenda.

After descending the stairs at the Sheraton, to meet the mayor and have several photo opportunities we were able to watch 6 Miss Washington Alumni perform and update us on their lives. This part of the week is so special, you get the see the sisterhood of Miss Washington’s and the lasting beauty and talent that is INSIDE each one of the Miss Washington’s.


Thank you to all those friends and family who showed up. Momma and Papa, there are no words to describe the kind of support you have provided and all you have taught me – Thank you! Janet and Myrna it meant so much to have you here, thank you for diving into this process with me. Bethany, thank you for coming all the way from Reno. The adventure just wouldn’t be complete without your enthusiasm! Auntie and Uncle your goodies put a smile on my face and a reminder in my heart. And, Ben… despite the fact that you were not here in body I have “Jamin” and he is keeping me company. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and for truly caring about my well-being.

My family and I were able to sit with Elyse Ummemoto’s family and that was an absolute delight. After another opportunity for photographs we said farewell to family and friends and headed to a rehearsal.

This was a total relief since we were able to learn the entire “second half opener” in the first rehearsal. It is so fun, and fairly simple. This means that those of us who are not dancers, like myself, can succeed (have fun and look lovely simultaneously).

After rehearsal we had dinner with the board of directors which turned out to be very casual, in our rehearsal clothes, and catered by Olive Garden. YUM. I sat with Noreen Skagin, the President of the board; our own Miss Washington 2007 Kristen Eddings; Devanni Partridge Miss Auburn, and Megan Hornbuckle Miss Kitsap and my partner in crime. We had some delightful dinner conversation and received great advice!

We even finished dinner with some incredible cheese cake, Tonie it was your favorite kind! I had enough for both of us, don’t worry.

Our evening concluded with a second rehearsal where we managed to learn the majority of the opening number! Debbie’s Dance has done a wonderful job of choreographing these numbers so we look fabulous and can ALL succeed!

Snacks, announcements, and bed time followed.

I am rooming with Miss Rainer, Robyn Suthard and we seem to have a system fairly worked out. Showers and makeup take a great deal of coordination. I am looking forward to tomorrow including our hospital visits and more rehearsals! What a start to the week, and I am already enjoying the adventure.

It’s a process, and I am here to be the best me I can be.
Blessings, Alex

1 comment:

bethschubert said...

Alex,
It was a real pleasure to see you compete this evening. It was a night my children and I won't soon forget. Thank you for being such an inspiration!
beth
ps you can reach me at bethschubert@comcast.net or myspace.com/schubysgirl